Thursday, May 24, 2012

Canadian Run

As far as races go the Toronto 1/2 Marathon has moved to the top of my list. Although I love training in quiet rural location or city parks, I like racing in big cities. A couple of weeks ago, my husband M, friends A, and A ran our spring race in Toronto. It was our first international race although the drive there was rather short. :-) I anticipated the route would be mostly level or downhill as the route was down Yonge St toward Lake Ontario. I did glance at the elevation chart once but I apparently ignored the inclines. I started out running at a rather fast but comfortable pace. After the first couple of miles was a dreaded hill and I clocked it as a mile on my Garmin. That slowed me down a bit as well as the temperature was rising rather quickly. After the hill I started to focus in on the route and the run itself. I started to count the coffee shops as I usually do and track my pace on the GPS. Mile 3 through 10 seemed to fly by until those last 3 miles. The sun was bright reflecting off the buildings but my eye on my watch got me through to the end. I ended up with a PR and once I met up with my husband I found out he did too. To make the day even more special it was our wedding anniversary. - P




No comments:

Post a Comment