Sunday, August 7, 2011

Read A Book(s) About Cycling


As our fifth event in the Let's Go Ride A Bike Summer Games  we decided to read a book or shall I say books.  We each picked up two books and then plan to share them after we finish our sets of two.  I bought  "Joyride" by Mia Birk and "Down the Road in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam" by Tim and Cindie Travis.

I actually read "Down the Road" in just a couple of evenings.  It read much like a blog which is what they started with and was enjoyable to hear of their adventures in Asia by bike.  I myself have only traveled through Asia by plane, train, bus, metro, and cars.  It was interesting to see how they managed to get themselves around and get through some of the obstacles they faced. It was an easy read and they seem like genuinely nice people.

The second book I read (haven't finished yet) is "Joyride".  It's a book that has been on my list for quite a few months.  I am about halfway through and really like it so far.  It is interesting to read about Mia's challenges as she helped shape Portland as a bike friendly city. It is a personal story and very inspirational as well.  On that note I am off to take a bike ride myself.  -P



Well, I decided to pick up the books "Bike Snob" by BikeSnobNYC and "The Cyclist's Manifesto" by Robert Hurst.  I read "Bike Snob" first and haven't even start the other.  It seems my "for fun" reading time in the past few weeks has been in those few minutes before I fall asleep.  Nonetheless, I did finish "Bike Snob"and enjoyed it very much.  There is so much practicality and truth and history I didn't know in it, held together well by humor.  I can't wait to read the other three books!  -A

No comments:

Post a Comment