Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Half Marathon - Vegas Style

The night comes earlier in Vegas than in does in Ohio.  But that doesn't help the nerves and the decision making during the day before a half marathon at night.  Fortunately we planned ahead enough to be staying near the start and end of the race.  Since it was so crowded P, P's husband, my sister A and I had to maneuver our way from our hotel rooms to the start line.  The atmosphere was unlike anything I've felt before at a race, so the awesomeness of running the strip at night was totally worth dodging all the people even though it was annoying.  The weather was a great temperature, kind of cool for Vegas, but something we were very comfortable running 13.1 miles in.  However, Vegas has much drier air than we are used to, so that did affect as least my breathing and hydration a little bit. As unique of an experience as it was to have the strip closed down for the race, my feet started really hurting around mile 8 or 9 and I was very glad for it to be over.  Overall, a good race.

And a bonus, the finisher medals glow in the dark.  Very cool.

I know it is not even technically winter yet, but I am ready to start planning for another half marathon in the spring. -A




No comments:

Post a Comment